Excavate Sweden’s amazing Viking history on a small group day tour from its beautiful capital, Stockholm!
- Adult Ages 16+
Learn About Viking History, Law, & Society
This tour takes you through the whole Viking age but with a smaller focus on law and Viking society!
We visit one of the best-preserved assembly places close to Stockholm, Arkils assembly place. Here you can explore Viking life in Scandinavia with an expert guide. We tell you about the Viking age in general, the meeting place and its special functions, and some Viking laws that we know of. We also touch upon the Viking religion, runes, runestones, their ships at the Vallentuna lakeside, their laws, and more depending on what you want to know.
The site is situated 40 minutes by bus from central Stockholm. We recommend taking public transportation to the site. Take Stockholm central station’s (T-centralen) red subway line towards Mörby Centrum, and get off at Dandrys Sjukhus. There you take the 610 bus towards either Vallentuna station or Norrgården. You get off at the Lovisedal stop after about 25 minutes. There, you and the guide walk towards the assembly place.
About Arkils assembly site:
- It dates to the 11th century in Vallentuna, Sweden. Lord Ulf had recently died and his sons decided to build an assembly site to commemorate him.
- The large Skålhamra kin used it as assembly site, not only to honor Ulf but also to consolidate their power in the region.
- Assembly sites were the Viking’s political and judicial centers.
- The society was divided into häraden (juridical districts), which to some extent had the same function as today’s Swedish municipalities.
- Local and knowledgeable guide
- Private tour
- Visit Arkils assembly site, one of the most well-preserved Vikings parliaments in Sweden.
- A historic time travel experience
- A great time away from the city visiting the suburbs of Sweden